raising pH

I have a new 37 gallon tank that I set up 2 and half weeks ago. Right now I
have danios in it to cycle it. While cycling, will pH also change? I have
checked every rock and the gravel with muriatic acid and none of it reacted.
I also have a piece of drift wood and live plants. I have been lowering the
pH with acid buffer to about 6.4 but within a day it is up to 7.2.  Last
week it seemed to be stable at 6.4, but this week it started to rise. This
week the NO2 also rose (as expected). I was just wondering if there is a
connection. Thanks!

Eric