Re: Apistogrammoides pucallpaensis

Scott,

For what they're worth, here are my opinions based on dark makings and other features.

A. borellii is truly an unique species in the genus. The female's brood pattern
(generally no black except the ventral fin edges and suborbital, cheek, stripe) is very
unusual in apistos. In the highly polygamous males the body shape, finnage, and dark
markings (usually 8 vertical bars & a lateral band that doesn't extend extend past the
pectoral fins) are all similar to species in the macmaster/Rotpunkt-groups. To me A.
borellii actually appears to be more closely related to these groups. Both A. borellii &
the mac/Rotpunkt-groups are collected in regions of open plains more than forested areas.
Whether or not the similarities are due to evolutionary convergence to a specific biotope
is difficult to say right now. The wide separation of A. borellii from the
mac/Rotpunkt-groups is not significant since all are also associated with the genus
Mikrogeophagus. If Mikrogeophagus can have such a wide dispersal, so can the ancestors of
A. borellii & the mac/Rotpunkt-groups.

A. pucallpaensis is another unusual "apisto". Besides the unusual number of anal fin
spines, this fish has a low dorsal fin, only 5-6 vertical bars, a broad lateral band that
is situated about a scale-width lower than on most apistos. The lateral band is
continuous from the eye to just in front of an elongate caudal spot. The caudal spot
pattern of males is actually similar to that seen on some populations of A. linkei. The
female brood pattern is similar to those of regani-group fish. In my opinion it is a
regani-group species, possibly related to the commbrae/resticulosa-complexes.

Mike Wise