A. borellii references

Jonathan,

This sounds like an interesting thesis problem. There are some questions you will
have to figure out, however.

1. You say you plan to have 10 fish per tank in a 1:1 sex ratio. A 25 gallon tank
(30X12" bottom?) seems a bit small, but you will certainly see territorial
behavior both in the males and the females.

2. You are interested in "pseudo-female", also called "sneaker males". I doubt
that you will see much of this if you can already sex your fish. Sneaker males
seem to be young males that somehow delay the development of their external
(secondary sexual) masculine features in the presence of dominant territorial
males. If your males already have their masculine features, they can't really
revert, e.g. shrink their finnage - although they may, like the females, not be
highly colorful.

Sexing young fish is always a problem. I have a two year old A. sp. Rotpunkt
sneaker male who looked just like a female in brood dress. I wasn't sure of its
sex until I took out the only "certain" male in the tank. I still got spawns so
unless there was some magical fertilization between tanks, one of the 2 year old
females had to be a sneaker male. Now without any competition this male is
growing larger and developing more masculine traits. Little is really published
on sneaker males. Probably the best discussions are found in the first chapter of
Ingo Koslowski's book "Die Buntbarsche der Neuen Welt - Zwergcichliden" and
section on sneakers in Uwe Römer's "Cichliden Atlas, Band 1".

In regards to biotope studies, I am told that Dr. Wolfgang Staeck did an
excellent job in an article that he published in 1999. I have not seen this paper
but am told that it covers most of your questions on distribution, biotope,
environmental parameters, etc. I am trying to find a copy of it right now. If
anyone can email me a scanned copy I would appreciate it.

Sex determination is well documented in the scientific literature. See if you can
find the following reference: Römer, U. & W. Beisenherz. 1996. Environmental
determination of sex in Apistogramma (Cichlidae) and two other freshwater fishes
(Teleostei). Journal of Fish Biology, v.48, p. 714-725. Not only do temperature
and pH affect sex ratios, but timing of these are important, too.

If you have problems getting any of these (and I imagine you will), contact me
personally off-list and I will supply you with what I have and translations if
needed.

Good luck with your thesis project and have fun!

Mike Wise