Re: Borelli Thesis

Hi gang! I'm very glad that many of you have interest for this. I am
almost certainly going to try to publish my findings. I may even wite up a
general review for an aquarium magazine (e.g. Tropical Fish Hobbyist).
Yeah Travis, I was advised by my supervisor to test for interactions.
ANOVA sounds good. Mike, I will be maintaining the conditions constant in
the rearing tanks, from the time that they are placed into them. I am
spawning them all at pH of 6.6, and a temp of 80 F. I have been removing
the eggs the first day that I see them. According to Romer and Beisenherz,
they found that another Apistogramma species (trifasciatus? the paper is
downstairs) gave a sex ratio as predicted by the rearing conditions for
fry that were moved within 72 hrs of hatching, and sex ratios as per
spawning conditions when removed after 800 hrs. Intermediated time of
removal (between 72 hrs and 800 hrs) gave proportional effects according
to time of removal. I think that I am fine with my procedure, although it
is a different species. I think that they used acidic pH because they
believed that pH variation exists throughout their natural range. However,
they did not find this, although a temperature range was found with
respect to depth of the river. The temperature range was very small, and
didn't satisfactorily (my opinion) explain the adaptive significance of
environmental sex determination. I have a good idea, and it will link
their perculiar behaviour with environmental sex determination, but I'll
leave you in suspense for now because it's part of my original thesis.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Jonathan Fung... Reef Geek
Dalhousie University Honours Marine Biology
Aqua Creations Inc. Assistant Manager
writer for Marine Fish Monthly
email: fung@is2.dal.ca