Re: Fw: please help!

Hi Rosie

Nice to hear another UK voice on the list.  I have just
spawned Cacatuoides in my community tank also (the
fry are now 3 weeks old and around 10mm long).

My humble advice would be to remove the cover and let
the parents do their thing.  My cockatoos ate their first
couple of spawns also, but they soon get the hang of it.

Incidentally, my fish left the eggs alone when I went
away for a few days, so I might consider covering the
tank for a while with perhaps some newspaper or light
material if you want to avoid spooking the fish and the
subsequent egg-eating. I also had a deep blue marine
light which I accidentally left on 24hrs without a timer,
and I think the removal of the sudden on/off
environment helped reduce stress as well.

Even if you lose another 1 or 2 egg clutches to the
parents, I think it is worth it in the long run to be
patient and have a set of parents who have learned to
be a good mum and dad.  Stick with them!!

Please contact me off-list if you want to ask any more
questions, no matter how trivial. I have a month of
trying to keep my cockatoo fry happy and healthy and
would be happy to share my experiences.

Good luck!!

Rich Moore
North London

ps - if you are in the South East, I would be interested
in any recommendations you have as far as
dealers/shops go...cheers