Re: 990 digital pic tips

I absolutely agree with Randy.I worked my way up from 35mm, to a CP 800(from
work) , to my own CP 990.
I'm still using the build in flash of the 990(no pesetas for slaves yet).I
shoot my fish when they come to the front of the aquarium.I use both "A"
mode -aperture priority auto and "M" mode.The camera sets the shutter speed,
you set the aperture in "A" mode.A large aperture setting also extends the
range of the build in flash.
In "M" mode you can set shutter speed and aperture.I use matrix or center
weighted metering for most of my shots.Also set the white balance to the
lights you use on your aquarium(fluorescent,incandescent etc.)
You do need a lot of patience.You have to study your fish's behavior to get
good shots.Your fish need to get used to that big guy holding a black thing
in front of them.The hardest fish's for me to take pix of are my Discus.They
used to run for cover when they saw my camera,or me:).
I parked the camera on a tripod in front of the tank for weeks for the
Discus to get used to it.
My apistos are used to the camera now.They basically go by their routine and
ignore me.
It takes a lot of practice.I probably shot
a thousand pictures that were junk.That's the beauty of digital:
instant results ,delete the bad ones.No money spend on wasted film.
I take my pix early in the morning in complete darkness around the tanks ,or
in the evening when everybody is hungry and eager to get his picture taken.
If you're really interested in digital aquarium photography you should read
Randy's articles on the subject:
http://characin.com/carey/index.html
http://www.megapixel.net/

Oh ,here's another tip: I uploaded the newest firmware version for the 990
at Nikons website for a speedier auto focus and other updates at:
http://www.nikontechusa.com/
Read the instructions carefully.You don't want to mess up your camera.
HTH
Max