Re: how often to feed fish

Fishes, being cold blooded (poikilothermic), don't waste a lot of energy trying
to stay at their ideal temperature like mammals and birds. Mammals and birds use
as much as 90% of their food calories just to keep their internal temperature
stable. Feeding 3 to 5 time a week should be OK for keeping them alive. It has
the advantage of the water staying cleaner longer. However, depending on how &
what you feed, it might not be enough to keep them healthy or in spawning
condition. Fishes have a better chance of taking in the vitamins and other
nutrients they need if they are fed at least once or twice a day with various
foods. The trade off is more tank maintenance if you feed too heavy.

Mike Wise