Re: Off topic: help IDing an unidentified Rasbora, heteromorpha complex (long)

Hi Sarah,

Ive come across these fish too up here in Toronto. And yes, they are
harlequin rasboras, though the lfs here named them black bush rasbora.
And yes, I have also seen a picture of these fish in a book, (where they
were IDed as harlequinns) but cant remeber which one..... If I remeber
reading correctly, the blue/purple harlequins are actually a wild morph.
But the difference between the picture and the actual thing was that in
the picture, instead of the black marking dissolving "into a rather
amorphous blob" as you describe, they had a very clear distinct line to
where the black mark ended, and instead of that bronzy/ copper sheen on
regular harlequinns, it was a beautiful metallic blue/ purple sheen.
And as far as I know, our lfs here get them from breeders in florida, so
what I think is that some one got a hold a few pairs of some of these
fish and began to create a domesticated version. Resulting in the fish
we see. Over all a very nice fish, but expensive up here (running
between $5 - $7 EACH.). Hope this helps :).

YNO