Sick/Dead Cacatuoides

Hi All,

I've got health problem with my cacatuiodes that I hope you might be able to help me with.  My female had spent the last two days in her cave, not even coming out to eat, so I expected they must have spawned.  I peered in last night with a flashlight and she didn't look good.  Swollen with eggs (or so it looked), but with a sunken look to the forward part of her stomach, and labored breathing put me in rescue mode and I did a 50% water change.  A couple of hours after that she came out of the cave and swam around a bit, but kept sinking into the gravel face first.  Eventually she parked herself in the midst of a tangle of hornwort and stopped moving.  It was obvious she wasn't going to make it, so I euthanised her.  The male appears to be ok, though he now spends most of his time in the cave and refused to eat anything this morning.  He's in a 12 gallon tank to which I've just added 1 1/2 teaspoons of aquarium salt, and upped the temp from 78* to 83*.

Can anyone identify the illness that struck the female, or suggest any alternative treatments for the male?  Thanks for any help!

Eric