Re: (no subject)

Methinks to side with Mike on this one, just based on my own experience.  I
had about 15 tanks set up in the garage when we lived in Pleasant Hill, CA
during the 1989 earthquake.  My tanks were all set up on 4X4s resting on
cinder-block columns - about as loose a set-up as you can imagine - nothing
was anchored to anything.

We all ran out into the front yard when the quake hit, got to watch the car
'rock and roll' in the driveway, and then got scared as we saw water coming
out from under the closed garage door.

As soon as the earth stopped moving around, I ran into the garage to survey
the damage, and found that I'd lost.....nothing but water.  The tanks and
fish were all fine.

While my experience doesn't exactly provide over-powering evidence, it at
least squares with the design methods of engineers in quake-prone areas.
Buildings and bridges are intentionally built with flexibility and
'shiftability' to allow them to better absorb the shocks.

Rigidity/solidity are not such a good thing in earthquake country, which is
why wood-frame buildings tend to fare better than block or stone buildings
in an quake.

Scott