Re: earthquakes and tank supports

</delurk>

What the situation calls for is a structural engineer. I'm an architect,
which is not quite the same thing, but I know that there are a few solutions
used in buildings to maximize life safety and minimize damage in the event
of seismic activity (a.k.a. lateral forces and uplift).

    The ideal solution for aquaria, it seems to me, should include some type
of dampening of forces as they transmit themselves thru the building. I
don't know exactly how this could be accomplished with a tank stand, but at
the building scale it is sometimes done with large steel springs and
pneumatics. This is used only in steel and concrete construction, as far as
I know.

    Here's an over-simplified explanation (this is actually fairly new
technology and hasn't become standard in construction yet): A building would
have two steel frames. One is rigid, to resist lateral forces - it's
basically a vertical truss of steel columns, beams, and diagonal members,
braced to the ground. The other is more flexible - columns and beams (no
diagonals) which support concrete floors and roof, and the connections
between the members are allowed to 'give' a little, i.e. no moment
resistance. The walls sit on the concrete and are nonstructural. At various
points between the two frames, you put steel disk springs and large
pneumatic shock absorbers. When lateral forces transmit from the ground
through the rigid steel frame, the rigid frame moves but the force is
dampened before being transmitted to the more flexible frame, so the
periodicity of the seismic activity is reduced. Thus the building doesn't
move so much, giving you less damage and more safety.

    I imagine a system like this could be developed for tank stands. Perhaps
you make a rigid framework - steel or wood - and anchor it firmly to the
floor and wall. Then you 'float' a shelf on top of the framework, so that
there is minimal friction between it and the frame. Leave space at the edges
and put...oh, say, neoprene padding between the shelf and the vertical
members of the frame. Attach the tank firmly to the shelf somehow.

    That might help mitigate the shock of lateral forces.

    The only other force you need to be concerned with is uplift, because
earthquakes move in both horizontal and vertical directions. The only thing
you can do about that is make sure the shelf and tank are restrained from
moving upwards somehow - perhaps a piece of wood or steel that runs over the
top surface of the shelf, attached only to the framework. This would allow
the shelf to move in the horizontal direction but not in the vertical.

    Unfortunately, seismic engineering hasn't come up with a really
effective way of dealing with uplift, for minimizing damage to buildings. We
can do a pretty good job with lateral forces, and we can deal with life
safety issues in terms of uplift, but damage is just going to happen when
you have one of those rolling up-and-down type of earthquakes. Just keep
things restrained, i.e. tank lids, filters, etc.

    Hope this helps!

Andrew

ps welcome to the bay area!

</end delurk>