Re: Dead brown leaves tea and water chemistry! Newbie, pls help!

Arthit,

Check your carbonate hardness (dKH) first. If they are high, you will have to
lower your hard water below 10ºdKH/180ppm before you will be successful in a
lowering the pH with organics from the leaves. Is the water where you collected
your leave acidic? If your dKH is low, then the leaves are not releasing tannic
& folic acids into the water. Try leaves from acid waters - or better try to
find a source of peat. It is used by some discus breeders and also used in
gardening. If you use garden peat, make certain that it contains no poisons
(fungicides, insecticides, etc.).

All apisto prefer soft acid water. Some can live in moderately hard & slightly
alkaline water, but they are often more susceptible to disease and will no
breed.

Mike Wise