Re: sexing checkerboard cichlids

Only the males have lyre-tails. The females caudal fin is rounded.
Sexing young D. filamentosus is tricky. What has worked best for
me is looking at the side band. Bordering the sideband (above and
beneath) the males often have two "metallic blue" lines. Not as
bright but usually they're there. Young males show these as well,
although fainter. Young females don't have them. This doesn't
prevent you from getting sleeper males thoug, males that develop
their traits later that others.

The only way I to buy these are in greater numbers unless they're
adult and you can clearly see the sexes.

Good luck
/Fredrik