average life span of cacatuoides ?

Dear all,

I have a female cacatuoides, 8+ months old, with none of the usual symptoms of
ill health I have become aware of....but she has turned very dark, her fins
are rarely held out, one eye is clouding over and she appears to only be using
one gill. Could these be general signs of old age? Can anyone recommend a book
which contains info on the average age of these and other apistos / all
tropical fish? None of mine do which is a rather disappointing omission.

Thanks in advance

Rosie

PS - thanks also to our administrator for stepping in. I for one will enjoy
this list much more if we could filter out unnecessary chat.