English translation of Römer book; was: Re:

colingorton@eurosport.com wrote:

> My point is that they don't need to buy the
> equipment, just send the text to my mates and they'll
> print it and send them back, couldn't be simpler.

Colin,

That's true except that it will cost the publisher
more $ to print at an
outside source and then they'd have to warehouse
the book. Let's hope they
get enough orders to get the English version
published.

> I understand that no publisher would want to invest in
> the machinery (in fact the most expensive part is
> training the operators). Why not suggest it to Herr
> Römer?

I'm afraid it's out of Uwe's control, once he sold
the manuscript. If this
trend continues, I see me and others making a
little extra pocket money by
providing a "translation service" for owners of
certain popular German books.
I sold ~130 copies of Werner Schmettkamp's book
"Die Zwergcichliden
Südamerikas" along with English translations in
1985-87, plus 15 or so lone
translations to people who already owned the book.
The trick is that you
can't just sell to anyone. They have to own the
book. This isn't a mass money
maker either, and you better keep good records to
make sure you can prove
that you didn't infringe on the original
publisher's copyrights.

Mike Wise