Re: eunotus/cruzi/ or what?

Scott,

I got you pics. Like you said, they are fuzzy camcorder shots - and dark
besides. I finally got a chance to clean them up.

Your fish is definitely an eunotus-complex species. The male has all of the
diagnostic features: deep body that's laterally compressed, steep upper head
profile with a flatter jaw line, high dorsal with pointed but not serrated
spiny portion, orange spot at the insertion of the pectoral fins, a clear to
very faintly spotted caudal fin that's usually orange & a relatively broad
zigzag lateral band. I might be imagining it, but I think I can even see a
split in vertical Bar 6 on your fish. Brooding females usually show the
lateral band as a series of patches mostly behind (posterior of) the lateral
fleck - like yours. Your fish are very similar to A. cf. eunotus
(Orangeschwanz/Orange-tail) because of the extremely orange colored tail.
Look at Linke's photo of A. eunotus in L&S. I'm pretty sure it's the same
form as yours. This form can develop very long dorsal & anal fin extensions.
The tail starts off round, but eventually the back squares off and some males
even get short extensions on the upper & lower tips. I believe that this form
is the true A. eunotus, but am not absolutely sure. Thus the "cf." moniker.

Mike Wise