Re: lurking and hibernation

In a message dated 19/09/01 05:25:00 GMT Daylight Time, BigJohnW@webtv.net
writes:

> has anyone ever used
>  a 55 gallon tank for a breeder setup??

I use a 48x18x18, which I guess is about the same size as a 55 gallon for
many polygamous dwarfs (and those like Apistogramma atahualpa & Nanacara
anomla which tend to be hard on their partners too).

I've used it with cacutoides and they are great to watch - the females steal
the fry from each other and you end up with the dominant female looking after
a huge cloud of fry and the subdominants having things fairly easy with 15 or
20 fry remaining.

The fry don't grow as fast as when concentrated in a 10 gallon, but survival
is fairly high (watch the male closely) and I think the fry turn out nicer.

The only problem is the water changes :-)

Alan W