NYC Animals need help

From:    cecibn@sedona.net (Beatrice Welles)

This is what is happening to thousands and thousands of animals in NYC.
I urge you to post this message to everyone you know.

I have been going to CACC since they opened.  In all my years of rescue
from  this shelter, I have NEVER seen what was witnessed yesterday.
Cars were double-parked up and down the block on 110th Street.  Inside
the  shelter, the lobby was completely FULL with people dropping off
animals.  It  seems many people for whatever reason (fear or possible damage
homes) are  suddenly "moving" out of the city and cannot take their animals.
An
unusually high number of "strays" also suddenly coming in:Five Purebred
Chow  Chows, Pomeranians and many other breeds.  Sharon at the CACC showed
me a  smallish pure Collie who looked just like a scruffed up version of
Lassie.

This very sweet, senior dog had just come in as "stray." (We put a memo
on  her.)   Cats, moms and litters were also everywhere.  Many of them
suddenly abandoned after years in a home.

The computers are still down at CACC.  There is pitifully scant
information on the animals' cards.  Though we can surmise many of these
now-homeless  pets  are actual or indirect victims of the WTC tragedy, such
is not
indicated on  their kennel cards.  Many of the groups or individuals who
have offered
to  "help WTC animals" will not help these as "WTC" is not noted on the
cards.

I was also informed today that a number of the animals in evacuated
buildings around the ground zero area have been abandoned by caregivers.
Or,
perhaps the guardians have perished.  In any event, no one has stepped up to
claim  the animals.

We have tried to put memos on a number of animals, regardless of the
noted "reason" they are there.   But, we do NOT have sufficient offers or
placement for them.

I am putting out this e-mail to bring light to the fact, that an
incalculable number of animals ARE coming into CACC as a result of the WTC
tragedy.

However, since the info on them does not state this, I am concerned
that the  truth will not "get out" to all those who have offered to help
these
pets.

People who want to help these animals need to be CONTACTING ALL RESCUE
GROUPS and SHELTERS in New York WHO TAKE CACC pets, including ours, NYCA.
Most are  listed on www.petfinder.org   Or, if in New York, they can adopt
directly
from  the shelter.  Please forget about requirements that the animals "be
victims of the WTC tragedy."

Trust me, they ARE.

Patty (New Yorkers for Companion Animals)   (212) 427-8273.
---
If you know of an animal  that has been abandoned due to this attack or due
to other
circumstances,  here is their emergency telephone hotline number: Emergency
No:
1-888-LOST123

Note: Please do not call the CACC on this line for any other reasons
than to report an abandoned animal. This is for emergencies only! If you
wish
to  contact the CACC in Manhattan their telephone number is:
1-212-722-3620.
The  CACC Staten Island Shelter number is: 1-718-984-6643

All out of state people or organizations who are willing to take in an
orphan from NYC please contact:

NYCA (New Yorkers for Companion Animals)
(212) 427-8273

mandy787@aol.com

and

NY PetiCare
NYpeticare@aol.com

You must include the following information:

what type of animal you can take
how many
your full name, address, phone number and vet contact
can you pick them up
do you need transportation
please put in the subject line: CAN ADOPT

IF and only IF you have problems getting through to them, you may get in
touch with DTanzer16@aol.com or me cecibn@sedona.net
please put in the subject line: CAN ADOPT