Re: Borellii fry

In a message dated 9/22/01 7:21:35 AM Pacific Daylight Time, barbax2@yahoo.com writes:

I find when I raise a harem of borelli in a
larger planted tank I get a dynamic very similar to
the one you described. Yet when I breed them as a pair
in a 10 gallon tank I find that if I leave the fry
with the female for extended periods it seems to me it
wears the female out a bit. I find that these females
live about 2 yrs and seem to burn out after being with
fry for extended periods. When I look at such females
compared to ones I have in one of my show tanks, the
show tank females seem to live longer and look
healthier overall. I must add that the "wearing down"
of the female seems to occur when you leave the female
in with the fry after the school breaks up. Has anyone

Hi Dave,
that's interesting. I would have left the male with the female but, my wife and I both caught him eating the fry from the beginning. It's my first real hatch of apistos so I wanted to see them make it. Actually I'd like to see them all make it but, I'm learning that doesn't happen. I will try next time to see if I can leave the male. He's a beauty. I got him from Zach Wilson. He's blue and really has nice finage(sp?)
Funny thing was it wasn't more than a week when Zach was selling another pair he called a breeding pair of Borellii. The pair I got bred maybe 2 weeks after I got them if it was that long and they weren't even sold as a breeding pair...<G>

-=JerryB=-
"God Bless America"

JerryBsApistoWorld
or
JerryBsApistoWorld
(alternate site)
"Life is What happens when your busy making other plans"