Re: hongsloi

Hi Boleslaw. Nice to see there are people from all
over the world here. I have been working with
Apistogramma hongsloi II for a few years now. My
original stock came from Germany thwy hve allot of
intense red in the body and are one of the most
intensly colored Apistos I know of. I have seen people
who have gotten the hogsloi II from me display some
nice pictures on their websites so I'm happy to see
their making their way around the country.

As far as breeding is concerned pH 4.5 very soft water
0 DH. Keep in mind I started with tank bred fish wild
fish are easier in my opinion. I( found out that the
A.hongsloi are very similar to Discus and Angelfish
they need very clean water, very very low DOC's so we
must do frequent water changes like 2-3 week depending
on our DOC's in order for us to get healthy spoawns
and parental care. I was even putting a fattned up
pair in a tank knowing that they would breed the next
day. They really love freshwater! They would spawn
like clockwork after a water change. I reccomend
taking outthe male after the spawn in a small tank.
Other then that they fry grow quickly and are not a
problem to raise. Also Like I have said in the past I
like to use floating plants and other plants to
provide cover for the fish.  Good luck

Dave