From: HSIAOTSU@aol.com
To: apisto@listbox.com
Subject: Re: Artemia Brand
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 19:20:48 EDT

In a message dated 10/24/2001 9:15:20 PM Central Daylight Time,
jsull97@earthlink.net writes:

> With all the discussion about getting good hatch rates, I have a problem
> even after getting over that hurdle...what to do with all the hatchlings
> for the day or two over which they can be fed to fry? I tend to have high
> die off rates even after good hatchings. I almost always transfer them to
> fresh brine water and have tried placing them in the fridge (lower
> metabolism rate to keep up nutritional value) and floating them in a tank
> with food and air. Neither really seems to keep good numbers alive and
> swimming for 48+ hrs.

You can freeze them. I use those tiny ice cube trays I find in thrift shops.
Everytime I make brine shrimp, I freeze about half and keep the rest in the
fridge. The refrigerated shrimps are used up about in just about 48 hours.
I pop the frozen ones out of the ice cube trays after 24 hours and drop them
into a sealed container where they keep forever in the freezer. When you
drop them into the tank, the cube floats and a stream of bbs float down.
Based on the fish reaction, they still taste very good. Since most spawns
are unanticipated, these are great for emergency feeding.

Willie