From: "William Vannerson" <William_Vannerson@ama-assn.org>
To: <apisto@listbox.com>
Subject: Why we use oak leaves instead of maple leaves
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 13:50:22 -0600

There have been frequent threads over the years as to why oak leaves are preferable to other species leaves, especially maple leaves, for tank litter in Apisto tanks. Yesterday I ran across an interesting passage in a book I'm reading (_The Vegetation of Wisconsin: An Ordination of Plant Communities_ by John T. Curtis, 1959) that sheds some light on the subject. In describing the life cycle of the Sugar Maple, the dominant tree in the Southern Mesic Forest, he notes:

"Another effect of the leaves is bought about by their high content of basic nutrient elements at the time of leaf shedding. . . . the nutrients which have been pulled into the leaf by the transpiration stream during the summer remain there and are not withdrawn into the trunks as in the oaks and many other species. When the leaves are shed, they contain high levels of calcium, magnesium and potassium.
The high base content of the maple leaves is correlated with the ease of breakdown by the millipedes, fungi and other soil biota."

So the base elements in maple leaves would likely cause them to quickly degenerate as well as release elements that would cause the water to become harder more alkaline, or at least prevent it from become soft and acidic like oak leaves do.

Bill Vannerson
McHenry, IL
http://vannerson.home.att.net/