RE: Peat Moss vs. Oak Leaves vs. Beech Leaves

Yvan Alleau mentioned that Horst Linke prefers beech leaves over oak leaves for Apisto tanks.  Well, as I continue my reading of "The Vegetation of Wisconsin," I have found additional information that may explain why.

"Beech is taxonomically related to the aks and resembles them in many of its life-history characters.  ...  Like the closely related oaks, the beech is not a nutrient pumper, because its leaves are strongly acid and low in bases."

So beech leaves would lower the pH,  just like oak leaves, and decay slowly as well.  Additionally, there's another important characteristic of beech leaves that may provide "medicinal" benefits.

"  ... sparseness of the ground layer in beech and hemlock forests is frequently attributed to the very low light intensity in such stands, but the recent work of winter and Bublitz (1953) on the toxic effects of water extracts of European beech leaves may indicate that an antibiotic reaction is in part responsible for the absence of many herbaceous species."

Of course, this book is forty years old.  So there most likely is more current research on this subject that would prove or disprove Curtis' statements.  Even though, it does provide some intrigue to the discussion.

Bill Vannerson
McHenry, IL
http://vannerson.home.att.net/