Re: Quarantine Qs

Well, I sterilised mine with bleach, but you can never be too sure, and every time you introduce plants there's always a possibility.
C:-)lin

-----Original Message-----
From:    Randy Carey carey@spacestar.net
Sent:    Wed, 05 Dec 2001 18:18:44 -0600
To:      apisto@listbox.com
Subject: Re: Quarantine Qs

I've got some input on quarantining...

I quarantine all of my fish, so I have several tanks reserved for
quarantine.  Everyone is a bare tank with a box filter.  They don't have
plants or sponge filters.  Why?  Because if a disease does break out, I
want to be able to sterilize the tank (usually with bleach).  This could be
hard on a sponge filter, but I can easily discard all the material in a
corner-box filter and sterilize it.

OK, I have had the occasional species that was so sensitive that I risked a
graveled tank (with a few plants) and converted it into a quarantine
tank.  The fish needed the cover and somewhat familiar substrate.

Now on the rare occasion that a disease does break out in one of my display
tanks, and it is rather nasty or contagious, I will sterilize that
tank.  What about the plants?  A biology-aquarist friend of mine
recommended that I submerse them in a solution of Potassium permanganate
(just a few minutes for sensitive plants, but even overnight for java
moss).  I bought my bottle from a local chemical store -- but I had to fill
out special paperwork for that chemical.  I guess this method works on
killing diseases (and hydra cysts) -- at least the plants survive (but they
aren't used until after a long, long rinsing).

Anyway, my recommendation is to use sterilizable tanks for quarantine
tanks.  When a planted tank needs sterilizing -- well I've written what I do.

--Randy