RE: sand vs gravel

colin,
for what i saw from friends who used fine lava-type sand in their tank i
would really avoid that.
when fish are scared or fight they move fast and sometime hurt the sand,
scratch their body on it and get injuries which get infected.
Plus fish like corydoras would completelt damage their mouth (cf little barb
stuff hanging in both sides of the mouth): it looks weired after!
This kind of soil is good so when speaking about biological action as they
will contain a use population of bacteria.
As you've mentionned, this lava-sand is also very light and moves around
with flow. if you use any syphon system to clean the extra crap bulding up
in the tank, that might be an issue to.
anywooo...
my 2 centimes!
take care

Yvan Alleau
712 NW Kings Blvd
Corvallis, OR 97330
College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences
Oregon State University
office (Burt 222): 737-3649, to be used wisely!
home: 738-0606

PLEASE NOTE NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS:
yalleau@coas.oregonstate.edu

"When you're far from everything, you're getting closer to the essential"