Re: Finally...

Big J,

I'll be the last to say what you can or can't call your fish. Since at least
2 obviously different species have entered the hobby/literature under this
name, you might find confusion when discussing a fish under this name.
Koslowski started using the name A. sp. Masken/Masked about 10 years ago in
talks to hobbyists. In this respect it predates the name Carapintada, which
the Panduros first used about 3-4 years ago on their species list for what we
now call Winkelfleck, and a year later for Masken. The Panduros may be
wonderful fish exporters, but apisto ID isn't one of their fortes. It seems
that, to them, any regani-group fish with a "painted head" (the English
translation of Carapintada) is shipped as Carapintada. A. sp.
Carapintada/Masken is a much prettier fish than A. sp.
Carapintada/Winkelfleck (or the more colorful A. sp. Winkelfleck/Tiger
Stripes) in my opinion. Sadly I've lost my only male and am left with 3
lonely females.

Mike Wise