From: owner-apisto@admin.listbox.com
[mailto:owner-apisto@admin.listbox.com]On Behalf Of Mike & Diane Wise
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 9:23 AM
To: apisto@listbox.com
Subject: Re: Agassizii breeding assistance needed

Bill,

I don't know if they make them anymore. I bought my 6 over 20 years ago.
They came with a
sliding metal & screen top that I had to cut off. These were mostly
considered "for pet
store use only". Now most manufacturers feel it's cheaper to make one style
of glass box
(aquarium) for all. I know that there are some herp tanks that are
specifically designed
for small reptiles & amphibians, but most are tall, not wide.

I like the ones that I have because they a wide 'footprint'. Since most
apistos in the wild
are found in water between 4-8" (10-20 cm) deep, any extra depth is a waste
of space. If
money was no object, I would replace all my 15 & 20L tanks with 30 gallon
breeders. These
tanks are 36x18x12"high (90x45x30cm high). These have the largest foot print
per gallon
normally available and can be stacked 4 high on most aquarium racks. They
are available
from many major American aquarium manufacturers, usually as a special order.
The reason we
don't see them offered that often is because the cost the same as a 40
breeder tank. Most
people want the most gallons/$.

Mike Wise