Live Food

Hi all,
I'm fairly new to dwarf cichlids having had only 3 A.cacatuoides in a community
tank for the past 3 months. Everything I've read says that
Apisto's benefit from live food in their diet. I feed my fish a variety of
flake, freeze dried food and cichlid pellets but the only live food I feed
regularly is Drosophila. The cac's will happily eat the flies and don't seem to
mind coming to the surface but I figured I should add some non surface live
foods. What live foods do people on the list feed their fish? LFS bought foods
such as brine shrimp and black worms are fine but the costs add up over time so
I assume most people on the list culture their own. Are frozen foods just as
beneficial as live?
Thanks
Andrew