Re: A. Bitaeniata

In a message dated 4/5/2002 8:01:33 PM Eastern Standard Time, apistowise@fgn.net writes:

You would be more likely to get fry if you lowered the pH to around 6 and the
hardness to around 50 ppm or lower. The pH won't have as much effect on sex
ratios as temperature, but it will affect the number of viable fry from a
spawn.

Mike Wise

  Temperature effects sex ratio? I didn't know that. I just had a spawn of Bi's. They actually spawned up in my planted tank and then I bought them down to me breeding tanks because as hard as they tried they couldn't save the fry in the planted tank. They had free swimmers a couple weeks ago and I have a feeling their actually spawning again even with the fry in the tank.
  I had that happen with triple red cacatuoides and it doesn't work well. You end up with less fish in the end because the older fry go after the younger fry and then the parents go after the older fry. It's just kind of tuff moiving fry that are so young to make room for the new ones if they come.
                                                                    JerryB