Re: sand/excavating apistos

 <I cut a flower pot in half, and I cut a small hole at the top.>

Congratiulations !
I always get several pieces :-)

For a more natural approach,
try one of the Coconut Shell's.
Maybe even more fun then the flower pot ! :-)
The coconut shells will also release over time
a certain amount of beneficial humic acids.

Sand is a lot of fun too.
But I am affraid it will not work in your set up.
The Sand will always sink to the bottom and push
up the gravel.

Juergen