Re: A total beginner

barbara@newland565.fsworld.co.uk writes:

> 3 pairs of dwarfs (Kribs, Borelli and Cau..... which I can't   spell)
> together in a 2 foot tank and that they possibly could breed

I wouldn't mix Kribs and any Apisto - the Kribs get too big, and perhaps more
importantly they speak a different 'language' to Apistogramma species and
whereas two Apistos may face off at a territorial boundary and mutually back
down, Kribs and Apistos are more likely to fight.

Although you could keep 2 pairs of Apisto in a 2 ft tank, it is really only
suitable for one pair of Apistos if they breed (and they probably will) .  If
you can get pairs of Borelli - the females are really yellow and tiny
compared to the males, pairs of similar sized, blue coloured fish often sold
these days are males.  Cacutoides are definately the best beginners Apisto, a
trio of one male, two females and a shoal of dither fish (neons, pencilfish
or similar) would be great in a heavily planted 2ft tank with at least 2
caves (coconut shells, or clay plant pots) per female.

Alan W