RE: a stupid question (tagert vs. dither)

Boleslaw, not naive at all!  If you don't know, you don't know.  There are
no stupid questions.

Dither fish are a group or school, usually six or more, that because of
their presence give the shy Apistos a sense of security.  The Apistos see
them and think, "Hhhmmm...  Since those guys are out and calm, just swimming
about, and they're safe...  Must be okay.  I can go out, too, and not worry
about getting eaten."  An example of dither fish with Apistos could be Neon
or Cardinal Tetras.

Target fish are one, maybe more, in a tank that are "sacrifical lambs," so
to speak.  They're there for a particular genera to literally take their
aggressions out on so that some more desirable (could be desireable for many
reasons:  cost, looks, sentimental value) genera are not harrassed or even
worse, killed by an aggressor.  I've not used target fish, so I'm not able
to give an example.

Hope this helps!  :D

green

Bolesaw Gawel wrote:

Sorry for a naive question:

what is the difference between dither fish and target fish?

Or are those terms sinonymous?

Boleslaw Gawel