Re: Algodon

Barbara,

There are 2 species that have come into the hobby
as "Algodon". A. sp. Algodon II is a form of A.
sp. Putumayo from the upper Rio Ampiyacu (if I
recall correctly). This species is also commonly
sold as A. cruzi. It is a nice fish, but nowhere
near as colorful as what has been sold as "A. sp.
Algodon I". This species is now more properly
called A. sp. Parrot/Papagei. Males of this fish
have lots of blue, red, green, & yellow on the
flanks and fins. Dr. Uwe Römer has an excellent
article on this species in the latest (April,
2002) issue of the ACA's Buntbarsche Bulletin. It
covers everything you will need to know about this
very desirable fish. Unfortunately Dr. Römer is
still misidentifying this species as "A. sp.
Nanay", which it is not. Hope this helps.

Mike Wise