From: Tom Leach [mailto:leach@coas.oregonstate.edu]
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 10:29 AM
To: coas@coas.oregonstate.edu
Subject: Pre-virus HOAX alert

While no one here has asked support about this latest 'virus', I thought
that
I would send out an advance warning that the latest virus hoax is one that
asks you to remove the file jdbgmgr.exe. jdbgmgr.exe is a normal windows
system program and SHOULD NOT be deleted. Another hoax has been making the
rounds again stating that the file sulfnbk.exe should be delete. It
shouldn't,
so please don't :)

Here is the text of one version of the jdbgmgr hoax...

(HOAX TEXT, NOT A REAL VIRUS)...

I found the little bear in my machine because of that I am sending this
message
in order for you to find it in your machine. The procedure is very simple:

The objective of this e-mail is to warn all Hotmail users about a new virus
that
is spreading by MSN Messenger. The name of this virus is jdbgmgr.exe and it
is sent automatically by the Messenger and by the address book too. The
virus
is not detected by McAfee or Norton and it stays quiet for 14 days before
damaging the system.

IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS IN ALL OF YOUR SYSTEMS SEND THIS
MESSAGE TO ALL OF YOUR CONTACTS LOCATED IN YOUR
ADDRESS BOOK BEFORE IT CAN CAUSE ANY DAMAGE.

(END OF HOAX TEXT)

---
You are currently subscribed to le_cercle as: caroline_hoffmann@yahoo.fr

Yahoo! Mail -- Une adresse @yahoo.fr gratuite et en français !