RE: New Apisto

Sal

Definition of
 Cichlidiot: Person that devotes an enormous amount of time, money, effort,
and energy acquiring and keeping Cichlids. Used as a mark of pride among
many of us when we describe the form our addiction to fish keeping takes.
Definatly NOT a derogatory term. Cichlidiots generally only recognize 6
types of fish Cichlids, Catfish, Dithers, Targets, Feeders, and Dinner. Hope
that helps cool the flames. If you evaluate the amount of money that many of
us who keep these creatures spend, the time and energy we spend getting the
water right making food collecting live foods culturing little critters that
disgust non aquarists, keeping the enormous scope of the endeavor secret
from our loving but not understanding spouses. All to keep these little gray
brown fishes alive knowing that that little fish you just spent $50 each for
six is probably going to die. If you weren't a serious aquarist you might
conclude that we are "Idiots" hence the Cichlidiot term. See, nothing
derogatory or unpleasant there.

I personally qualify as a Cichlidiot the ACA is the keeper of my 12 step
program. Acceptance is the key to expanding my little watery kingdom and
getting the latest aquatic gem to spawn. cichlids of all continents
fascinate me (can it really be a continent if they have no naturally
occurring cichlids i.e. Europe?). Though I am trying desperately to limit
myself to soft water species I fear that that will be a failing effort.
Hope this Cools the Flames of Ire.