From: owner-apisto@admin.listbox.com
[mailto:owner-apisto@admin.listbox.com]On Behalf Of Mike & Diane Wise
Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2002 5:36 PM
To: apisto@listbox.com
Subject: Re: Trifaciatas

>From your previous description of your fish, I couldn't tell what sex your
fish
are. If your fish are over 1½" (4 cm) long, do either have metallic blue
areas
below the eyes? If so, they are males. Females don't show metallic blue on
the
head. A. trifasciata is a highly polygamous species. The male, for its size,
are
fairly aggressive toward females not ready to spawn. Because of this A.
trifasciata should be housed in a relatively large tank for their size, a
30"/75
cm long tank at least. I've reproduced this species in smaller tanks as
pairs
but the continual chasing always stressed me out (I imagine the female
wasn't
too happy either.). Personally, 2 more females in a well planted 20L or
larger
tank is the best way to go.

Mike Wise