Re: Dithers

David,

Pencilfish are not schooling fish. They tend to be territorial, especially the
males. Still, they work as good dithers. I find that the larger pencils (N.
beckfordi, N. trifasciata, N. harrisoni, and the Copella species) are less shy.
Dithers, unlike target fish, are there to reassure the cichlids by acting
naturally. As long as your dwarf pencils are acting normally, which they are, they
will act as suitable dithers. Schooling species will always be a minor threat to
wandering fry. After all, it is harder for brooding females to drive off schools
than individual fish.