Re: Moae? pictures

Francine,

The fish look like photos of one that Julio M. sent me a year or 2 ago.
Although the look very much like A. moae, there are differences. Your photos
show males with vertical bars that extend  down to the ventral edge of the
body. A. moae's vertical bars rarely extend beyond the lateral band & never to
the ventral edge of the body. Some of your pictures show a broadening of Bar 6
at the base &, although dark, may indicate that there is split in the bar at
the base. This can't occur in A. moae since Bar 6 doesn't reach the ventral
edge (at least in live specimens). Some of your photos show males with fairly
pronounced abdominal stripes. A. moae doesn't show abdominal stripes. Instead
it has very faint 'dashes' formed by slightly darker pigment on the leading
edge of each scale (sometimes covered by red pigment).
    I think that this is the fish that I suggested Julio call A. cf. moae
because it looks very much like the true A. moae. In his new book Koslowski
calls it A. sp. Tahuayo.

Mike Wise