Re: unknown aggies

Matt,

The agassizii-complex is ... well, complex! We are looking at a group of
apistos that is distributed over more than 3000 miles of the Amazon & its
tributaries. Many different color forms are known, as well as populations that
are sufficiently different from Steindachner's type material (from the
Manacapuru of Brazil) to be considered separate species. Even among the forms
we consider populations of A. agassizii we see considerable variation. Females
are particularly hard (usually impossible) to separate by population. Koslowski
(2002) recognizes 3 different varieties of true A. agassizii plus 7 "cf."
species. I tend to agree with Uwe on not mixing fish from 2 different known
populations. But when it comes to imports of unknown locations, I have no
problems breeding them together as long as you don't claim that they belong to
any particular population. Just breed them. If they eventually produce large
(50+) healthy broods then you probably have a pair of the same species. I
wouldn't worry. Just call them A. agassizii.

Mike Wise