Re: foods for apistos

Coby......Jerr is essentially right.  However there are several worms that
can be fed to apistos that seem NOT to carry the potential trouble some
people run into with the black worms.
1)  Grindal worms can be cultured with minimal problems................a 4 x
4 inch (or so or bigger) container for refrigerated foods can be
used......... a little dirt/peat moss combination (everyone has their
favorite mix).........a grindal starter and you are off and
running............no refrigeration, room temp..............you can feed
every other day from this culture when it is running great.  The grindal
worm can get to about 1/8th of a black worm................apistos love
them!

2)  White worms.....................the white worm is 1/2 the length of a
black worm and a bit more trouble than grindals............again black
dirt/peat mix.........a box (there are as many versions of white worm boxes
and mixes as there are people!!!!!).....I do mine in 2 1/2 gall plastic
aquariums.............feed the worms..........harvest and you are off and
running!!!!..............white worms require cold........55 degrees or
less.....refrigerator!..........you can harvest these every day when the
culture is really rolling!

People say that jeeze you have to be a live food culturist to be successful
with some tropical fish........that's not quite true but to give the fish
the best food and allow them to really do best sometimes we do crazy things.
Live foods becomes a way of life for some aquarists......being in Killies
for 30+ years has trained me in the live food business so that it is simply
part of my day and I don't even think about it any more.

Good luck to you!!!

Mike

Mike Jacobs
SOUTHERN APISTOS