Re: Nanochromis dimidiatus "Leza"

In a message dated 11/26/2002 2:19:56 AM Eastern Standard Time,
owner-apisto@admin.listbox.com writes:

> Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:50:23 -0600
> From: adelau <adelau@uwyo.edu>
> Subject: Keeping new Nanochromis sp.
>
> Hello all,
> Out of curiosity, did anyone get their hands on some so
> called "nanochromis dimidiatus" recently? Also, beside
> nanochromis parilus and transvestitus, is there any
> successful spawning on other nanochromis?
> By the way, I read my ASG journal and would like to know
> more about nanochromis.

Dear Adelau,

The new Nanochromis species that has been imported into the US for the first
time this year is N. dimidiatus "Leza."  Please note that the designation
"Leza" is but a trade name and does not correspond to Leza, DR Congo, located
near the Zambian boarder.

Various US distributors have been offering wild specimens of late, all of
which are believed to be from a singular source.  After pressuring a
distributor friend of mine here in the Northeast to furnish specific
collection information, as far as I can ascertain, this form was collected
between Kutu and Bokoro, DR Congo.

There are two localities named Kutu in DR Congo.  Apparently, the correct
Kutu is the one located just south of Lac Mai-Ndombe on the Fimi River in
Bandundu Province, very close to the type locality of Nanochromis
tranvestitus.  Going up river from Kutu, there is approximately a 31-mile
stretch to Bokoro.