Re: A. sp."Brestband / Brustband"

As Rich writes, it is a mouthbrooding species. Actually it is a larvophile
mouthbrooder. The female only picks up its offspring after they have hatched
from their eggs. She will hold them in her mouth only until they are
freeswimming. Although this is presently unique among apistos, various forms of
mouthbrooding are commonly seen among other genera of geophagines.

Mike Wise