re: Ph crashing up?

I am not sure if the method you are using to test substrate will work. Your best bet is to get some muriatic acid from a hardware store. Put some of the gravel in a cup and pour in some of the muriatic acid and watch for a reaction. Make sure you are in a well vented place!
Do you have any rocks in your tank? If you do, test them as well.
Eric