Re: Ph crashing up?

In a message dated 4/25/03 1:35:34 PM, caw18@bak.rr.com writes:

<< I then mixed it with water and watched for a reaction (bubbling, ect..)
There was none.  Therefore I am assuming the sand is inert. >>

Bubbling will occur by reaction of a stronger acid with a salt of carbonic
acid (such as Calcium carbonate), releasing carbon dioxide bubbles. Sodium
silicate however can be soluble enough to raise the pH but will not release
carbon dioxide.

Lee Harper
Media, PA
USA