Re: Sneaker males?

Per,

In Dr. Barlow's recent book, "The Cichlid Fishes - Nature's grand experiment in evolution", he has a short chapter on sneaker males ("Who is the father?, pg. 170). I have to agree with him & Dean H., that the primary function of being a sneaker male is to get your genetics (=sperm) into the mix (your #2). I'm sure that #1 has some assets, too, but the major function is to enable spawning with females that are otherwise not available.

Mike Wise

Per Wigstal wrote:

Hi

I found this explanation to the term "sneaker males" among the apistos in a article from this website:

http://www.mn-aquarium.org/masart27.htm

Dean Hougen wrote;

"Quite interestingly, there are non-territorial males which still manage to reproduce. These males look remarkably like females, both to aqurists and to territorial Apistogramma males. By fooling the territorial male, these "sneaker males" are able to slip into the caves of ready females within the territorial male's dominion and fertilize some or all of the eggs before the dominant male has the chance to.

  "Sneaker males" only occur in situations where some males are unable to establish territories of their own and will become territorial males themselves, with the accompanying impressive colors and finnage, if a space opens up in the region's hierarchy."

Best regards/ Per

Mike Jacobs <mjacobs2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

Per................... #1(sneaker males).

Mike

Mike Jacobs
Inca 50's & A. sp Fresa...in stock
SOUTHERN APISTOS
Peruvian Apistos Plus more...
http://www.southernapistos.com
http://www.tbas1.com

----- Original Message ----- From: Per Wigstal To: apisto@v2.listbox.com Sent: Monday, July 14, 2003 7:13 PM
Subject: Sneaker males?

Hi all

The term "sneaker males" or "sneaking males" is frequently used among apistophiles. But what is the true meaning of that term? I have had a discussion on a swedish forum for cichlidists about this term. And It seems that theres is two opinions about the meaning.
These are as follows:

1. A small dominated male which have the same coloration as a female. Propably the coloration is the strategical way to survive within a dominant males territory.

2. A male (of any coloration) which "sneaks in" and fertilises eggs at a spawning site. This is then a reproducing strategy.

My opinion is that the description under point 1 is widely spread and is accepted among cichlidists. What is your opinion? What is the correct use of the term "Sneaker male"??

Best regards/ Per