Re: How to reduce NO2

Well, for apistos this (water changes) is the only
solution that I think I would go with, well the Prime
one would be good for emergencies. If you do in fact
mean NO2 (Nitrite) and not NO3 (nitrate), then you
have not cycled this tank well enough to be putting
anything you like a lot into it (expensive apistos for
example). Marineland now makes a product that will
help you greatly but I forget the exact name. A while
back Dr. Hovanec of Marineland discovered that the
bacteria which process nitrogenous waste in aquariums
was something other than notrosomonas and notrobacter
as was previously believed. They finally managed to
isolate and culture this bacteria (and patent it too
which seems a bit flaky to me). The product is
something like bio-spira (the bacteria are nitrospira
species) and will greatly help with cycling a new
tank. Nitrite (NO2) levels will sometimes elevate
slightly when new fish are added as well, because the
amount of bacteria in the tank has to adjust to the
new bio-load. If you meant nitrate this whole time
(NO3) well, then like big John says water changes are
your answer. Nothing removes nitrates any better than
that. Nitrite on the other hand will have to elevate
at some point and remain that way (long enough for the
bacteria that oxidize it to grow in sufficient
numbers)in order for your tank to properly establish
the nitrogen cycle. If you lower it artificially it
will only elevate again as the ammonia is processed.