From: "Nuno Prazeres" <nprazeres@vodafone.pt>
To: <apisto@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 7:36 PM
Subject: Re: only male fry

I read somewhere (maybe Romer) that very selected lineages tend to produce
skewed sex ratios and temp and pH become less of an issue in those
particular cases. If your friend's apistos are a result of intense selective
breeding this might explain the fact.

In my humble opinion your friend should try to spawn the apistos at 25C and
then during larval period lower one degree per day until it gets down to 22.
It might be helpful to move pH up a bit if it is too low. After about 600
hours over the birthtime temp can go up again because sex is formed. I am
basing this on reading material and not experience. Generaly the higher the
tem the more males you get. Is some species the same happens with pH but to
a lower extent aand the lower the pH is the more males you get. Since sex is
formed in teh first weeks and not determined at spawn time spawning
temperature can be confortably the very same.

Sorry for my mispell about m and micro Siemens. 1 milli = 1000 micro :-)