Re: "biotope project"

Hi

I have had some correspondance with a couple of guys that have collected A. Commbrae in Uruguay.
Felipe Cantera, Pablo Laurino, Marcelo Casacuberta and Vinnie Cutty.

Felipe and Marcelo have confirmed that they have collected Commbraes "in Salto, near a dam called Salto Grande". Felipe have a photo of one of these fishes on his website.
http://www.aqvaterra.com/photos/peces/galeria_ciclidos/apistogramma_commbrae_550x380.jpg

Pablo Laurino wrote that the Commbraes could be found near Villa Constitution (Departemento de Salto) and in the area of Bella Union (Departemento de Artigas)

Pablo Laurino wrote about the habitats;

"The habitats of Apistos are quite simmilar between each other, but
often we collect isolated individuals in different conditions. The most common ones are ponds that are inundated during floods, and after get more or less isolated from the main bodies of water.

It is actually neutral or sligthly acid in pH, and quite soft to little hardness. This are not like amazon waters, not brown at all. They are clear when the sediments are deposited as
water gets quiet. They come from the rivers filled with rain, and with
sand substrate mainly and some mud and lime, but little vegetable debris.
The ponds that apistos inhabit are regularily plenty of vegetation, mainly
on the shores, where they are found among the multiple species, like
Ludwigia, Higrophila, Miriophyllum, Pontederia, Echinodorus. They get protection from the several predators that live within them, as Serrasalmus (Piranha), Oligosarcus, Crenicichla, Hoplias, etc."

Lee, who are your contact person in Uruguay?
Hoping to get some info from your trip in July! :-)
(Really would like to go there myself.)

Best regards/ Per

Mike & Diane Wise <apistowise@bewellnet.com> wrote:
Per,

I'd be very interested to learn the Uruguayan collecting localities of
A. commbrae.

Mike Wise