RE: before you ask

John,

The message was sent from a machine with the IP address of 216.100.38.104, which resolves to someone with an account at Humboldt Internet (CA).  I only give this info to alert the person, not to chastise them or in any way denigrate them.  It is becoming harder and harder to avoid having someone put malicious code on your computer.

Those who write spyware, trojans and all the associated malicious or just annoying code are getting much better at it.  If you run Windows there are numerous holes through which programs can be transferred to your computer, even just by opening a webpage.  You may even be redirected to such a webpage from a legitimate looking webpage.  Trouble is much of the antivirus software will not pick up the spyware or nuisance code, such as the type that changes home or search webpages, or starts pop-ups whenever you start your browser.

The best we can all do is to keep antivirus software up-to-date, and to find out about some of the spyware removal software.  There is free-ware available, but a donation would be nice.

Steve W