microgeophagus altispinosa

Hi all,

I've got a 20 gallon tank with 4 microgeophagus altispinosa and I'm
trying to determine what the desired PH and hardness should be and
also (on a completely seperate issue), how to determine sex of the
fish.

as for the ph. I've been told everything from "cichlids like high ph",
to "they like the water to be almost acidic". and I've been having
a difficult time narrowing down who to beleive. The consensus I've found
seems to be leading more toward these fish liking almost acidic water so
I'm working toward 6.5 - 7.0 somewhere. I was also told that a good way
to lower the PH naturally is driftwood. So I'm trying that theory.

as for sexing. Everything I've heard so far doesn't seem to be very useful.
The best way I've actually heard so far is "check which one the eggs are
coming out of when they breed, that should be the female." :-) If anyone
has any other input on ways to determine this it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin Goodman
goodke@netcom.com

P.S. I'm hoping microgephagus is a appropriate topic for this mailing list
since they were called apisto type fish at one time. :-) My appologies if
it is not.